Do you love brunch? I am a HUGE fan of it. I even have a Pinterest board just for this most delicious meal. I love that brunch marries salty and sweet entrees with coffee or cocktails (or both)! I also love that it’s a meal where you can linger around the table a little longer. It’s very rare that anyone says, “Hey, I have 30 minutes, want to go for a quick brunch?” Brunch is usually reserved for days when you have a bit more time to enjoy the food and the company.
I often associate brunch with holidays or special events. So, with Labor Day weekend approaching, I thought I would share one of my favorite brunch dishes, crepes. I love this recipe for Sweet Crepes with Vanilla Ricotta Filling because it’s easy to prepare (I’m not lying, I promise…crepes are super easy) and it’s delicious. If you serve this at your next brunch, your guests will think you are a rock star.
Get this, you can prepare almost all of it ahead of time, too. That’s always a huge plus in my book. I made these crepes the night before. As I cooked them, I layered them between sheets of parchment paper. Then I put the whole stack in a big Ziploc bag and popped them into the fridge.
When I served them, I warmed them in a skillet and then, filled them with the yummy Vanilla Ricotta filling. They were pretty darn delicious!
Here’s the recipe for these amazing sweet crepes with decadent creamy filling. If you would like a more detailed “how-to” on making crepes, Williams-Sonoma has a great tutorial. Enjoy!
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Melted unsalted butter for greasing pan
- 1 cup of whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp of real vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- To make the crepes: Add all of the ingredients except melted butter to the jar of a blender. Blend until smooth and free of lumps. Refrigerate batter for at least one hour. When ready to cook, lightly grease a crepe pan or 9" non-stick skillet using a bit of the melted butter. Turn the heat to medium. Measure out ¼ cup of batter and pour it in the pan, swirling quickly to cover the entire pan. Cook the crepe for about a minute, then carefully flip the crepe and cook until set and lightly browned. Stack cooked crepes on a plate, placing sheets of parchment paper or waxed paper between them.
- To make the filling:
- Combine the ricotta, vanilla and powdered sugar. Whisk until really smooth. In another bowl, whip the heavy cream until you get soft peaks. Fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture. Chill until time to fill the crepes.
- To assemble:
- Place a couple of spoons of filing down the middle of a crepe. Roll up or fold into triangles. Dust with powdered sugar and top with berries.
- If It’s Tuesday, I’m Cleaning My Toilets
- Toilet Tuesday: 5 Reasons Why You Should Make Your Bed Every Day